Saturday, January 28, 2017

So, why Spanish?

     I am a typical 30-something working professional. My life is pretty routine. I get up, I go workout and then I go to work. It was beginning to feel like I was set on autopilot just going through the motions. When was the last time I used my brain…challenged myself? With the new year approaching, it was time to set a new goal.

     So I decided that 2017 is the year I devote myself to truly learning Spanish; to take my basic skills to a more fluent level. Like most people, I was required to take a foreign language in high school. I actually started Spanish early in middle school and had earned more Spanish credits than what the diploma required. In addition, I became a member of the Spanish Honor Society. But with all that said and done, I graduated with an inability to actually speak any real Spanish.

     Fast-forward to today and I encounter situations where I need Spanish almost on a daily basis. I realize knowledge of a second language is so beneficial. So for the last couple of years, I’ve dibbled and dabbled…took a class here and there…with no major progress. I was still functioning at a basic survival level.

     I traveled out the country for the first time last year and since have been on a mission to satisfy my newfound wanderlust. As I travel more, especially to Latin America I want to feel confident in my ability to communicate.
    
     So this blog will serve as a journal of sorts. I need an outlet to hold myself accountable and chronicle my progress. I want to explore the language and see where it takes me…


                                                                                                                                 ¡Hasta luego!

                                                                                               
                                                          



6 comments:

  1. Omg I can relate to everything you just said! I too took Spanish all through highshool but also was required to take it in College and did a study abroad in Spain and was good! Sadly a few years of not using it, it slowly drifted and now I can barely make small talk! I look forward to following you along on your journey and who knows maybe you can help me get it back and get past this mental block! I'm rooting for you! Great intro ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Feron! I'm very excited. And yes stay tuned...perhaps you'll be inspired to get back into it.

      Delete
  2. Que Bueno! Estoy muy feliz que tu estas viviendo sus sueños! ✨��

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go girl.. Can't wait to hear about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Increíble! Espero sus actualizaciones! Todos necesitamos rendición de cuentas - ¡Sí! He estado dabbling desde que dejé NYC y California.

    ReplyDelete